Sunday, August 24, 2008

club hopping, hip hop & cardio

Let me be frank, I am generally a top-twenty hip hop fan. I like the sounds, I like the beats, and I like to dance for hours. Plus, it's fun to pick up on a song because it plays allllllllll the time, and then hear it at night going out. And since it becomes the music one hears going out and having a hoopla, it naturally becomes an appropriate choice for a work-out shuffle, where it's all about getting pumped. It is exactly at this point when songs reach my ipod that the trouble begins.

For those readers who know me as a real person and not only as an abstract blogging persona, you will know that I am pretty much out-to-lunch, lost in my head, and out of touch with most surroundings. Clearly then, when I hear a song playing (radio edit, mind you), I can barely understand the lyrics, let alone process what the hell the song is really talking about.

Here is where the cycle begins. Songs drift into my consciousness in the background, I pick up a scant few verses, I go out clubbing with my friends, I have a great time--I put the song on my ipod. Then I get to the gym, and by now I have the explicit version, and the gym is the only place where my head in semi-clear. In short, I finally hear what the song is even saying.

This brings me to a few weeks ago, when I was very excited to have uploaded my faaaavvvoorrritteeee song to dance to, A Milli by Lil Wayne. I can't tell you how pumped that song gets me, and no matter what mood I'm in, it always gets me ready to go out. But there I am on the elliptical, and what do I hear?

Damn I hate a shy Bitch
Don't u hate a shy bitch
Yeah I ate a shy bitch
She ain't shy no more
She changed her name to My bitch

uuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhh. All of the sudden the same feelings that I felt when I learned what "superman that hoe" means came rushing back. Are you serious? So you hate someone for not being sexually available to you and drooling all over your bling bling? Is it really cool to regard women as property? It is really cool to use some perceived sexual prowess as a means of control?

Here's another good part:

I'm a venereal disease
Like a menstrual bleed

Love the fact that a natural biological process is likened to a disease.

It just pains me because I really like the song. Oh the conflict I feel.

No comments: