Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Allure magazine is GRAVELY mistaken


In its May issue, Allure magazine features BEAUTY BREAKDOWNS: Shaved heads, drastic cuts, Crazy dye jobs.

Why does buzzed head imply a beauty breakdown? I understand that Britney is batty, but one person's personal collapse and subsequent buzz job does NOT mean that a shaved head is a sign of degeneracy. Let's all give Allure a round of applause for reinforcing age-old cultural notions of femininity.

News flash: some women make rational choices to shave their heads. Yes, others may take out emotional issues on their dos...but let's not get the two confused.

I have purposefully chosen not to post pictures of myself on The Colonic, but I am really pissed that my favorite hair cut is being marketed as some sort of female pathology. So for my own sake and every other woman without hair, this is a CHOICE and I looked incredible.

7 comments:

Jordanna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yasmin Nouri said...

I completely agree with you. What would life be without taking changes and doing different things? I thought you looked beautiful with your shaved head, regardless of what any magazine belives to be a "beauty breakdown."

Ren said...

hells yea.
*applause*

Anonymous said...

You are really cute with this haircut ! Congratulations

Anonymous said...

You look stunning. How would Allure make money if every woman was bald? LOL What do you do with all the hair care ads, and other stuff they say all women need?

Actually shaving the head is a "Beauty Build Up" because there are no more distractions to take from the beauty of a woman's face and unique features.

j-boo said...

I completely agree!
I was bald for almost 4 years, tried to grow my hair out a little. Hated it and just last week took it all off again. This is a video of me shaving it:

http://www.jinxiboo.com/blog/2009/7/6/off-with-her-hair-video.html

It was symbolic, meaningful, and liberating and I think it's sad that so many in society see it as a "mistake" when it's really so beautiful!!

Thanks for writing this blog.

Winx, Jinxi

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!