Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Feederism: the new "in the closet"

The May issue of Details magazine uncovered the new "in the closet." Beginning with the story of a 336-pound man aspiring to double his weight, feederism is different than finding large people sexually arousing--it is a fat fetish where "gainers" get off on growing themselves or their partners, and consciously morph themselves into obesity.

Although this subculture remains largely unrecognized by mainstream society, its participant and fan base is growing rapidly through internet exposure (and sites like gaininggoddess.com). Even so, feeders admit that dating is difficult in our fat-phobic society where thin is in and binging as foreplay is unspeakable. Yet this is also part of the appeal.

Feederism is basically a big cultural "fuck you." One man recounts how when he hears whispers in restaurants regarding his massive consumption, he simply orders more. Other women tell stories of being high food restricters, and one day finally deciding to have it all. New York University anthropology professor Don Kulick explains, "Fat is so demonized in this society that it actually makes it attractive."

But let's remember that there is difference between feederists and overweight individuals. Both the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance and the International Size Acceptance Association condemn the practice, saying that "one partner should not be controlling another's size."

But there's another problem. For those who crave larger and larger partners, traditional positions become impractical, and sex less and less frequent.

You can check out the article in its entirety here. It is an interesting read, but I could not bring myself to summarize particular details for the sake of shock value, as I found the magazine to do all too well. I am linking this for broader understandings of the body and sex, not to laugh and gawk at different fantasies.

I began writing this blog, compulsively eying the time for my yoga class to begin. My life style is an absolute opposite to feederism, which I don't think is healthy either. Whether it is obsessing to lose weight or gain, there really seems to be no focus on a natural, balanced bodies(whatever that may be). I do raise an eyebrow whenever emotions come out in food, or any other sort of channel (alcohol, drugs, exercise). Both feedees and feeders develop lifestyles that revolve around their binging and sexual practices, which either border lines or is an addiction--not sure. But hey, I have my own, so we can all talk about the health implications of obesity, but I'm not pointing fingers. It is nice to be reminded that every one has different sexualities and can enjoy themselves with others, even without conforming to particular cultural standards.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A big cultural "Fuck You"--You hit the nail on the head! If my doctor and mother weren't so gung-ho about putting a slightly chubby 12 year old on a diet, I might not be fantasizing about what it would be like to be 500 pounds. Part of it, though, for me at least, is trying to turn something that was once emotionally painful and humiliating into something pleasurable. I fantasize about being put on a scale after gaining large amounts of weight, only to be scolded and (lovingly) teased about my gain. I have lots of other fantasies related to being humiliated for my weight as well, and they are extremely pleasurable fantasies if played out with a partner who is only acting a role--and truly loves a woman with lots of flesh. I believe I somehow sexualized the emotional pains of my childhood--taking something painful and turning it into something pleasurable.

Vanessa said...

Thank you for sharing your story--I really appreciate your honesty and am intrigued by your ability to correlate events of your youth with your current sexual practices. I applaud your self-awareness. I hope that more readers will share on The Colonic, because what I would really like to do is create an open discussion.

It is also very interesting that your traumatic experience with a fat-phobic mother and doctor has translated into an ability for you to sexually enjoy larger bodies. I am most concerned with the ways in which fat-phobia robs people of their sexualities all together through insecurities, etc.

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, I never been atracted to skinny guys. I love extra softness... I always measure the apetite for food with the apetite for sex...is conected.... basic instincts ..... I have a very atractive horglass shape, I do sports almost every day, and I also dont like huge guys, I agree, they are unhealthy.... My point is, liking a bit more doesnt make you a sick person, and we just hear about the ones that goes to the limit, to the 400 or 500 pounds .... I know this community, and most people there just admires bodies with a little more fat on it .... Not everyone loves the extreme obesity .... Thats a lack of good sense...

Regards!

Stuffingkit said...

I have to say, As a feedee(The gainer) It IS a legitimate sexual fetish. Most people fail to state that! I am Kit of Stuffingkit.com and TheQueenOffeederism.com. Feederism is my sexuality, as obscure as it may seem, its just the way I am. I See how some could think of it as a cultural "Fuck You" and maybe that influenced the fetish during the years it was developing. I have been this way as long as I can remember, and for a long time I had fought it, But honestly, I get off eating cupcakes, what the big deal?

theWizardofBOD said...

I have to agree with Stuffingkit. People should just be themselves, no matter what. It's your own life.

Unknown said...

Yes, it is very true that feederists are mostly in the closet, I deal with that every day. I run the website extremefeeding.com that deals with all aspects of feeding and focus solely on it. I know that many people are not strong enough to stand up in a crowd, to say "yes, I love this, yes, I'm a feeder/feedee!", because they are so dependent on the opinion of others.
I don't, but I guess for me the passion for feederism is so strong, that I can't do anything but stand by it and help others through my conviction and unwavering passion for it.
My website has been called an institution, next to Fantasy Feeder and Dimension, it is the oldest feederism site worldwide and many have come and gone, mine will stay, this is not something that I just picked up and is a fad or a passing fancy for me.

quote:
-------
Both the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance and the International Size Acceptance Association condemn the practice, saying that "one partner should not be controlling another's size."
------------

Both organisations have not really grown in the past 20 years, they struggle for acceptance and are more ideologically driven than through real issues that fat people face and struggle with. I think it is because of this, that it does not enjoy wide spread acceptance. By their statement, they mirror the very misguided and wrong sentiment that all feederism is unconsensual: The both dumb and short sightes argument goes like this: Fat is ugly, hence Nobody in their right mind would ever want to be ugly, hence nobody can give their consent to gaining or being fattened up.

I'm both a feeder and feedee and mutual gainer, I live in all spaces at the same time and know lots and lots of feeder and feedees and so far I have only fed a woman consensually, because if she would not give her consent, it would never be interesting for me and she would not be a real feedee. And for me it has been really easy to weed out the fakes from the real person.
Yes, some people see it as a "fuck you" to society. Most people are terrified to death about fat, about gaining and have a very hard time to relax and enjoy food, because the "becoming fat" is always in the background, perceived by them as the ultimate evil.
So enjoying food fully and not fearing to gain seems like a superpower, freedom that most people can only dream about and never reach.

Eating freely and enjoying food and gaining through it and like me saying "I love to be fat, it feels really wonderful!" sounds like the ultimate absurd thing to these people.

But unlike them, I have realized that I'm into this a long long time ago and have pondered the issue for at least 15 years and because of this know a lot more, my opinion and preference is based on solid experience and thinking, not some whim that I picked up on TV or read in a magazine, it is actually my own judgement, my own opinion, not the ones of a undifferentiated mass of people.

Goddess Belle said...

I am a feeder Mistress where I have several different men who come to me as feedee submissives. They eat for their enjoyment and do it to gain My approval and control. Sure, there are those who feed themselves as a "fuck you" to society, but most of the ones I know do it because it is their fetish and what turns them on. They are willing to gain as much as I want to give them.