Saturday, November 10, 2007

remember, remember, the 5th of November

I spent the last weekend at the University of Maryland at the first youth summit on global warming, Power Shift, and the largest gathering ever to be held on the issue.

I'm not kidding--6,000 people.

The weekend was filled with speakers, workshops, panelists and fun. Even Nancy Pelosi came to share her gratitude that we, like the founders of our country, are "great disrupters."

Then came Monday, the 5th--our lobby day with approximately 2,000 people, a rally, and most moving for me, congressional hearing on global warming.

Five youth leaders, one still in high school, testified before the Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming, ranging from demands for 5 million green jobs, 80% emissions reduction by 2050, and no new coal plants--to a personal account from an Eskimo girl on coastal erosion and dwindling subsistence foods--to articulating the disproportionate effects of environmental devastation on disenfranchised communities and communities of color.

I am so moved because I do believe that was has taken place is truly historic, and that this is a transformative moment in the green industrial revolution. I am so happy I got to be there.

No comments: