Friday, June 4, 2010

Sprinkles rocks the vegan cupcake

I don't know if I mentioned this, but The Colonic is done with year one of law school, taking a breather from a super stellar summer job in food safety, and enjoying the LA heat for some much-need vacay.

What's number one on the vacation list of a sugar-obsessed vegan, fresh out of a culinary nightmare? (okay--a veg nightmare would be somewhere in the south...but DC is no LA, lemmie tellya) DELICIOUS FOOD, that's what.

Enter my first adventure back to Sprinkles since I became a vegan, 2.5 years ago. Since I left Sprinkles for the last time several years ago, I have not found a mind-blowing non-dairy cream cheese frosting alternative...until today.

I'm not talking just any mediocre veg treat. The vegan red velvet cupcake at Sprinkles made my Very Vegan Top 3 Desserts list. I actually just made that up right now, but if I did have a Very Vegan Top 3, it would include (in no particular order):

1. Coconut cake from Sticky Fingers
2. Red velvet cupcake from Sprinkles
3. Banana cupcake with vanilla frosting from Hello Cupcake

ooohhhhh, wait. Make that the Very Vegan Top 4 and add the baklava from the Tarzana Whole Foods.

1 comment:

Scribendo Cogito said...

Have you checked out yummy cupcakes. They have amazing vegan red velvet and every day have 2 vegan flavorings to choose from.
Also, have you ever been to Babycakes NYC (in downtown LA). I have their book and the recipe for red velvet seems very good too!