Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tarzana Whole Foods rocks the house, part II

However brief my stint in LA, I always try to cram in as much deliciousness as possible before I return to the veg-mediocre District of Columbia. Thanks to the new Tarzana Whole Foods, the perfect meal is a hot 5 minutes from my house.

On my last trip to LA, I ranted about the new location's vegan baklava and to-go bar. On this trip, I had the pleasure of breaking in the sandwich bar. Although there are a few options, I hit up "Mediterranean Goodness" the first time and haven't been able to break the cycle since. It's honestly one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. What's more, it also passes The Dylan Test (More on the DT below).

The ingredients are simple enough: olive ciabatta, some kind of flavored hummus, a really rockin' babaganoush, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and I add onions. It doesn't sound exciting--but whatever herbs are in the hummus and baba really take the experience to a whole new level.

But, don't take my word for it. As my cousin once told me, "Vanessa, your politics impact your taste buds." My little brother, on the other hand, is the perfect taste-taster. Dylan is basically a black hole of hamburgers, french fries, and well, hamburgers and french fries. I always know when he likes something I eat, it really must be delish.

So what's Dylan's verdict? He thinks that the sandwich tastes like IN N OUT Burger, most likely because the flavor of the babaganoush and hummus together mimics a sort of thousand island dressing. In any event, he was so into Mediterranean Goodness that, after sampling mine, we returned the next day and had at it again.

Note: Dylan and I had a long discussion about whether pickles "match" the ingredients and should be added. He insists pickles do not go at all, but I'm thinking I might give it a try next time.

No comments: