Monday, October 25, 2010

Vegan Treats at Arlington, VA's Bakeshop

On Sunday, a Certain Someone and I hit up Vegan Day at Bakeshop in Arlington, VA--in celebration of Bakeshop's new vegan items. In short, I will def go back again when in VA (but if in DC, Sticky Fingers still takes the cake, no pun intended).

I ordered a rice crispy treat with dark chocolate and peanut butter. I would describe it as "good" but not "great." Why, you ask? Namely, I felt like I couldn't concentrate on anything because there were too many intense delicious flavors in my mouth. Looking back, I should have ordered the peanut butter cookie I sampled, with one end dipped in chocolate. That peanut butter cookie was legit. Bakeshop, if you're reading, I think you should sell a plain rice crispy (a vegan version of which is tricky to come by), and then keep up the PB choco cookies. But hey--that's just me.

Certain Someone, on the hand hand, did a way better job of ordering. To your right, there used to be a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting. I didn't order a cupcake because I tend to dislike the chocolate cake in chocolate cupcakes (but not in chocolate fudge cake). However, this chocolate cupcake was bangin'! From me, this is a HUGE compliment because I refuse to eat choco c-cakes from both Sticky Fingers and Hello Cupcake. On the down side, Bakeshop is STINGY with the frosting, which is best described as a mere dollop.

Certain Someone also had the bright idea of ordering two cupcakes. The chocolate mint, pictured on the left, definitely packed more frosting than the beloved choco vanilla--not sure why. I didn't try it because I don't believe in mixing mint with chocolate, and to be honest, Certain Someone gave it a standard rating--nothing special. Maybe he'll pipe up if I'm not doing the mint choco justice.

Interestingly, Bakeshop sells Coca Cola from Mexico, which does not contain high-fructose corn syrup AND comes in a glass bottle.

To my Celiac friends, I did not notice any treat to be marked gluten-free. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask if there was an unmarked GF goodie.

All in all, it was a nice visit, and where the quantity of frosting fell short, the quaint ambiance picked up the slack. I might have to do a finals study sesh here come November.

1025 N. Fillmore Street, Suite G
Arlington, VA 22201
(571) 970-6460

Mon: closed
Tues thru Fri: 8am – 8pm
Sat: 10am – 8pm
Sun: 12pm – 6pm

No comments: