Monday, June 11, 2007

If you STAND WITH ISRAEL...don't just stand there, DO SOMETHING


Yesterday I attended a pro-Israel, counter-really that had been quickly organized in reponse to a "free Palestine" demonstration in DC. Of course when I arrived I was a bit let down. There was not a large crowd in the anti-rally. Certainly this is to be expected with only 3 weeks notice, and I have been to enough properly organized events to know the masses that support Israel. Anyhow, I did not find 200 people to be very impressive. But that was the least of my worries.

I did not understand why, during my training with Greenpeace, an activist told me that coalitions should be a last resort. What could be so terrible about coalitions?

Well I found out.

It was nice to hear that the pro-Israel rally consisted of Christians--this is not just a Jewish issue, and it's great to feel support. HOWEVER, I was absolutely beside myself when I these Christian supporters turned out to be a group of die-hards, and upon reaching the stage, spewed religious rhetoric that made me absolutely embarassed to be in any close proximity. And this continued.

I don't care HOW last-minute the counter-protest was...sitting there listening to pro-Iraq and Lord Almighty banter absolutely undermines the case for Israel. So what did I do? I marched up to the stage to take the microphone and speak for myself.

I started off with something along the lines of, "I am here from Los Angeles, and it is great to see everyone here supporting Israel. But I want to remind you--and the world--that you don't need to believe in God to believe in Israel. You don't need to call on scripture or prayer..."

I believe I closed with something similar to "Stand with freedom...Stand with Israel."

I was very proud of myself. And while I am on the topic, I must vent a little: JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE PROGRESSIVE DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU NEED TO BE ANTI-ISRAEL. I consider myself somewhere in the middle of progressive and radical, and let me tell you, I think it is awfully sad that the progressive movement swings in favor of ANY under dog, constantly assuming that the minority is always the victim. (I have to say the bit about the under dog was taken from Seth...but it's the perfect phrase).

On that note, I will speak of one of the most difficult trade-offs: I am thankful that America supports Israel, because Israel is a tiny country in the middle of a volatile and extreme region--and Israel needs as much support as possible.

But at the same time, Israel inherits the bad image. The tragedy that is our president, and the fiasco in Iraq equally throw Israel into the anti-American bandwagon...when the situation in Israel absolutely predates our exploited war on terror, and subsequently exploits Israel.

I know it's become trendy to be anti-everything American...but absolutism has never been positive.

1 comment:

Seth's assistant said...

Since Seth is not incommunicado with Vanessa, he asked that I (Seth's assistant) commend you on your proper citation and he 100% agrees with this schpeel.