Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Day of Silence

On Wednesday, April 18, hundreds of thousands of students will observe the 11th annual National Day of Silence--a protest against harassment, discrimination and prejudice faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender communities and allies.

"GLSEN’s 2005 National School Climate Survey found that more than 64% of LGBT students report verbal, sexual or physical harassment at school and 29% report missing at least a day of school in the past month out of fear for their personal safety. The Day of Silence is one way students and their allies are making anti-LGBT bullying, harassment and name-calling unacceptable in America’s schools."

I am not sure what role technology plays in the protest. Personally, I will observe the 24-hour day of silence, but will still use technologies such as texting, IMs and email.

Many will carry signs to explain their silence and spread awareness. There is a standard message available on dayofsilence.org...but I have to say that, in terms of "My deliberate silence echoes that silence, which is caused by harassment, prejudice, and discrimination"...you technically can't echoe silence. I really would encourage participants to opt for a different verb or phrase. Perhaps "call attention to" or "showcase." I am personally opting for "My deliberate silence protests harassment of...etc" Either way, I am thrilled at the level of commitment.

What are you doing to end the silence?

No comments: