Friday, April 27, 2007

A Yoga Story

I have been experiencing chronic back pains for the past two weeks--and am quite sure my pain has been worsened by the fact that I have been on antibiotics for almost a month, and not felt well enough to be active. Anyhow, I am staying in Beverly Hills for a week to dog sit for a friend, and decided that I needed to go to a yoga class to deal with my discomfort. I googled "Beverly Hills yoga" and was happy to find Dahn Yoga on South Beverly Drive.

I arrived to class early, mat in hand, eager to get my stretch on. As I entered the studio, I was surprised when an Asian woman in a very cultural outfit bowed to me. She guided me to lobby, where she sat next to me and began paperwork. I have attended my fair share of yoga studios, and never filled out paperwork...nor have I ever had an instructor care about the condition of my body from head to toe, (of which I explained my knee disorder, sway back, hip flexor complications and achilles tendon difficulties).

I was then asked if I wanted the $30.00 check-up, which examines the health and energy of my body. I have had long bouts in physical therapy, am well versed in the effects of anxiety disorder, and most certainly don't need to pay some shmuck to tell me that I am too busy, too tired, too tight and have the energy level of a flaccid penis. I kindly declined.

As I walked into the studio, I was taken aback by the immaculate condition and furnishing of the lobby and yoga room. I thought this was to be expected of Beverly Hills yoga--the bathroom was a porcelain throne for god sake. Anyhow, I was also surprised that my mat was unnecessary, and that the entire studio floor was one giant, soft mat that was as fresh and spotless as the jon.

I thought it was quite pleasant that a warm-up begins 10 minutes before class; I hate getting into intense stretches right off the bat. But the warm-up was not what I had expected: I followed the instructor as we drummed on our chest and abdomen to stimulate our organs, taking turns counting out loud in Korean (written on a dry-erase board). I don't know that I buy the organ stimulation, but you never know...I can get down with something different...I like counting in another language...and it's a really good arm work-out.

I noticed others come in the room. Although there were only 5 in total, many of them were wearing white Dahn uniforms, with special Dahn socks. These socks have grip to handle poses better.

We began the yoga session, but did not engage any of the conventional yoga postures: no downward dogs or warrior (1's or 2's). The class focuses on seemingly basic stretches with repetition and emphasized breathing. Additionally, we have specific poses for receiving energy. I found it challenging, but more simple and enjoyable. The instructor, or should I say master, was smiling brightly the whole time. I found her persona extremely encouraging.

Aside from stretches, there were certain poses that we had to hold for what seemed like an eternity, (actually 5 minutes). As a beginner, I was shaking uncontrollably, and the instructor came and sat beside me, putting her hand on my lower abdomen--I inferred from this she was giving me her energy. Although I don't believe I my instructor was transmitting power into my core, I found it comforting.

After holding 3 poses, we began meditation. Although I can't meditate, clear my mind or relax for jack shit, as we controlled our breathing and pulled hands together and apart, I could feel an attraction in my palms. A few minutes of meditation (and me not meditating)passed, and we clapped our hands, rubbed them together aggressively, and cupped our eyes to release energy into our faces. For the first time in my life, I did eye stretches, and we rubbed our energy all over our eyes, nose, cheeks and mouth, and repeated, "I love my beautiful face." I felt cheesy...but it was sweet.

I thought this was the end of class: a yoga cheer. "Are you ready?" asks the instructor? "Yes!" members reply, releasing feet into an open stance. Patting our stomachs, chest and then head, we yell "Healthy body, happy heart, power brain!" and break into three jumps, exclaiming "Yes, yes, yes!" Again, I felt cheesy...but in a summer camp way, appreciate the yoga cheer.

As I said, I thought this was the end. But I was wrong. The headmaster came out with a tray of tea, and members sat down in a circle. "Tell us your name and what you enjoyed in the class." As a people person, I loved this part. What a great way to get feedback and meet the people next to you.

I was hooked. I planned to come everyday. My body felt incredible, but above all, I was attracted to the fact that this was not a "I'm so trendy, I take yoga" class, nor was it an "Omg I need to workout" class. I felt that it was really about the body, mind, and feeling good. Not to mention, the emphasis on breathing relieved my throat tension, which is where I hold my stress. I found the class physically rewarding, and appreciated the sense of community.

When the class ended, the instructor talked to me about coming back. She also commented on how my spine is tilted and I am in the habit of leaning in one direction or the other. She added this further throws off my alignment. I was impressed that she picked up on my scoliosis, because no yoga instructor ever has. I liked the extra attention because now I am more aware of my body. I almost second guessed the check-up, but still dismissed the idea. Then began the discussion of future classes. Strangely, this studio is similar to a gym--it utilizes memberships. I explained that I was temporarily in the area, and the instructor let me know of all other Dahn studios in the area...one of which is near my house in the valley. I didn't know if I could commit to a membership, so I took the option of buying a block of 10 classes. The instructor seemed to be insistent on my commitment...which was a little odd. Yoga is usually in and out for me. I asked to pay next time, (had to pay off my credit card bill first). My instructor hugged me good bye.

As I walked home, I called a friend to recap on the class. Playfully I said, "a) it's a cult, and b) I'm joining."

6:00 pm the next day I returned. My instructor hugged me hello. I was much more enthusiastic about the warm-up, and was in to every moment of the class. I felt confident and excited about what I was doing. Again I struggled with the stances, and again the instructor sat with me. But this time during meditation, I actually cleared my mind. It was really a moment of victory for someone who is obsessive compulsive. I finally reached mental serenity...and it felt so good. Tea-time ended, and I went to pay for my yoga card.

Now the instructor talked to me again about membership, in which I repeated I was not interested. But now I had a second option: 20 classes instead of 10. As with everything in bulk, buying more classes lowered the price...and so I went for it. Still though, it's not cheap yoga. She hugged me goodbye, and this time, when I recapped to a friend, I exclaimed my plan to get trained as a Dahn instructor. I have been thinking a lot about how I want to do something rewarding, that really gives something to people. Owning an organic farm for example. I would love to give people this experience.

The next day I returned for a class with a tai chi emphasis. This time, I really paid attention to the Dahn yoga exercises for "brain respiration." This included mentally challenging movement that took coordination and concentration, as well as deep breathing.

The class ended in the usual way, and this time as I left, the smiling instructor approached me once more. "What are you doing on Sunday?" she asked. "Studying...why?" She let me know that there is a workshop in healing martial arts. Interesting...I asked her for how long. "10:00am-6:00pm." What the fuck? I replied that I could not attend, and asked if there would be regular classes. She told me that classes are offered Monday-Saturday, and on Sunday "we usually have a workshop." Weird.

At this point, I still loved the classes and the masters, but this really seemed cultish. I googled "Dahn yoga cult" and found website after website of warnings: Do not let anyone you know go to Dahn yoga!

1 comment:

Travis Conn said...

If they ask you to wear Nike's and prepare for Hale Bop the comet don't listen to them. I always knew there was something strange about those yoga places.