Thursday, September 4, 2008

deeply offended

I am deeply offended by Sarah Palin's mockery of grassroots organizing. She snidely stated:
I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities.
What makes this country great is our Constitution--and our protected rights to freedom of speech and assembly which allow for political empowerment and governmental accountability. Those are the underpinnings of democracy. This is why, despite much-needed progress, I love my country.

Without organizing, politically marginalized and under-represented communities would continue to fall under the radar and face gross socio-economic injustice. Without organizing, our elected officials could not represent their constituents. Without organizing, political speech would be a fart in the wind.

And let me tell you, I have been an organizer--and those experiences were among the most challenging and draining in my life. Nothing but deep concern for social justice and political participation could ever compel any one to take on such a tremendous burden (and a great joy).

As David Plouffe so keenly commented:
Community organizing is how ordinary people respond to out-of-touch politicians and their failed policies.
In my view, Palin just took a shit on democracy--and she'll have a whole lot more time to pray and shoot animals when this campaign is over, because Obama/Biden is the winning ticket.

No comments: