Saturday, October 6, 2007

what a clip

I found this on the blog of a dear friend, Oh Kermie


I am unable to unpack the content of the clip--perhaps unwilling. And so I won't. But I will speak to the business aspect, because it is interesting that Dove is jumping on this campaign. The marketing is brilliant.

Oh, you know me--I don't mind some exploitation here or there to promote a good cause. However, I have a little beef with Dove because of an ad they pulled 2 years ago, when they were jumping on this whole "love your body" shtick. I actually wrote a paper on it...which I should dig up from the ol' archives. Anyway, it was using bigger (and by bigger I mean average and a bit above) women in their underwear to sell THIGH FIRMING CREAM.

So celebrate and love your natural self, but just make sure your natural self doesn't jiggle. And if you can't achieve the impossible (I don't know about you, but my fat is not rock hard)--buy our shit!

I have had my eye on Dove since that ad and have yet to be offended again (although I don't particularly read blatant sexist propaganda for leisure anymore).

Whatever, I like the clip. It makes me sad. It sucks what you get signed up for merely by having a vagina.

2 comments:

BIK said...

it's interesting that dove says to get to your kids before the beauty industry does, yet dove IS a part of the beauty industry, (yaddayaddayadda-contradictions-falsehope-etcetc.)

however in the vein of any awareness is good awareness, regardless of the form, it's better that they acknowledge the issues and put them out there blatantly than ignore them altogether. right?

Vanessa said...

I would say it is better than blatantly ignoring them all together, because at least it speaks to the idea that beauty is a social construction (which I think most people are unaware of)