Friday, April 25, 2008

Hillary on a first-name basis

I am writing a research paper on the National Organization for Women (NOW), its endorsement of Hillary Clinton, and complication of the Hillary/feminist narrative by groups such as Feminists for Peace and Barack Obama.

While I was writing my paper, I was extremely sensitive to the issue of addressing Senator Clinton excessively as Hillary. This sensitivity was due to larger cultural critique that gendered relations of power lead individuals to address women on a first-name basis, and men by last name or including a title. I was wary of this throughout the construction of my paper, and wondered why I so aptly and so strongly referred to the presidential hopeful as "Hillary."

And then I realized--she calls herself Hillary. "Hillary for President" is the tag line of her official website. Ha.

No comments: