Friday, April 18, 2008

vegansexuals and inter-dietary relationships

The most recent issue of VegNews features Too Sexy For Your Meat, an article discussing vegansexuality and inter-dietary relationships.

"Vegansexuality" was coined by Dr. Annie Potts, co-director of the New Zealand Centre for Human and Animal Studies at the University of Canterbury--although she herself is not a vegan. Like it sounds, the terms describes a sexual preference for vegans exclusively. Vegansexuals refuse intimacy with those who do not share their compassion for animals, either on ethical grounds, or because the idea of carcass-consumption is just too disgusting.

PETA disagrees. It advocates sex as a tool in spreading the vegan lifestyle.

Some omnivores have not taken well to the concept of vegansexuality, even comparing it to racism (which is stupid--food consumption is a lifestyle choice). Whether vegansexual or ecosexual, I respect and understand those seeking partners who make similar lifestyle choices--but values can be expressed in multiple ways, not just what goes into your mouth.

As a partner in an "inter-dietary" relationship, I can tell you that my boyfriend's meat and mayonnaise consumption baffles me on multiple levels. But I can also say that I feel extremely loved and fortunate to be with someone who supports and accommodates my decisions (especially when family members have not), regardless of his differing views and practices. It warms my little heart when my boyfriend wants to take a trip with me to the vegan bakery, or when we have bagels and Tofutti, or when he checks menus to make sure there is something for me to eat. I find that extremely attractive.

On another note, I'm all about freedom. He does not attempt to control my body; why would I want to control his? No coercion in my relationship (although there is a lot of mayonnaise-teasing).

Bottom line, we share many values, beliefs and attitudes--and what I express through my veganism, he expresses elsewhere. It is not as if two people can always agree on everything.
And the truth of the matter is, sharing veganism with non-vegans creates a more accepting and accommodating environment. And who wouldn't want to increase vegan-friendliness?

I can understand that for some vegans, this scenario might not work. But I would like to go on the record that for others, it absolutely can.

No comments: