Wednesday, November 12, 2008

dreading the v card

And no...I'm not talking virginity.

I'm talking veganism.

I have been a vegan for almost a year now (in about two weeks I hit the big 3-6-5), and lately I have been spending a lot of time reflecting on my transition. I can't help but wonder--why have some people had such a problem with it?

Whether the snide and loaded "why?" (eyes rolling, no less), descriptions such as "freak food," or monologues that include how "sad" my new life is, I'm just wondering...what the fuck is it to you?

I am not difficult in choosing a restaurant. I still go out to eat frequently with friends and family. I have never made a scene. I have never asked a family member to accommodate me. I never try and recruit vegans, but I do recommend food that I enjoy.

The only person whose palette I pressure is my father, and that is because he has a weight problem and is at high risk for cardiovascular disease.

Frankly, I get the impression that some people find my eating habits just plain annoying, and I will never understand why. I am not judgmental, I am no less social--and guess what? I am healthier than I have ever been, and have drastically reduced my carbon foot print. This is cause for celebration.

Please, stop projecting your shit on me. I know that cultural conformity is praised, but it should not be compulsory.

On the flip side, thanks to every one who has been supportive, taken a trip to RFD, or eaten a Big Maque.

No comments: