Saturday, November 22, 2008

food and god

As I was spreading my organic sodium-free peanut butter on my organic low-sodium bread, and sipping on my multi-green raw, organic kombucha, I couldn't help but wonder: is this my god? Is this the thing that really makes no sense, but I need to believe in it to organize my life?

Although I can't be certain, I don't think my longevity would be compromised if my bread had a little more salt in it, but I have this unshakable faith in the most pure and minimalist forms of food as my own physiological savior.

Granted, as a vegan, I feel stronger and healthier and have more energy--but I certainly take health far beyond veganism alone. These extra steps don't necessarily yield results that I can see, but it feels so good to believe. Actually, I need to believe.

So maybe health really is my god.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I forgot to add that money and drugs--or other addictions in general--can also be the gods of other atheists.