Sunday, June 1, 2008

Oprah tries veganism for the right reasons

When I heard that Oprah was attempting a 21-day vegan cleanse, I immediately suspected that she was pulling a Skinny Bitch, and would undermine veganism by turning it into a weight-loss frenzy. Concerned she would add on to cultural precedent that has convoluted the mindful life style philosophies of veganism with calorie-counting and other obsessive behaviors, I decided to check her blog out for myself.

Much to my delight (and surprise) I came to discover that Oprah's trial of veganism came from an attempt to become a conscious eater--which explained as more than avoiding emotional eating and listening to your body, but considering the origin of food sources and how animals are treated in the process, creating a "spiritual" awakening.

Despite my objection to "spirituality," I like where this is going as a whole.

But her cleanse includes avoiding more than just animal products, but includes alcohol, sugar, and caffeine as well. That sounds a little much for The Colonic.

No comments: