Saturday, October 13, 2007

Dance, Art and Politics

Last night I saw Bill T. Jones and the Arnie Zane Dance Company at UCLA, and I know this sounds really stupid and obvious, but I was reminded of how important art is. The performance was an outright political commentary on war, and I especially appreciated the bit alluding to soldiers as the most vulnerable people--young people working for minimum wage and getting swept up by the grandeur of the army.

Even though I love dance, because of my difficulties in remaining focused, it can be hard for me to watch modern for longer than an hour--but this piece was really something different. I can't express how profound it was, how completely captivating and engaging on all sorts of sensory levels, but I would suggest running on down to UCLA tonight and checking out the ticket availability.

My political dissatisfaction is so cerebral and academic and dry--it was nice to feel something.

Actually, what I really appreciated is the fact that Bill and the dancers held a discussion afterward for questions (although I did not get called on--I can't imagine why not, my hand shot up straight like an arrow at every chance). I felt like it was so important to unpack the experience of the performance and understand the nuance of everything the show had to offer.

Someone made a comment on the unique and beautiful bodies (because none of the women were particularly tiny or tall). Bill said something that was really great. He spoke briefly about Jackson Pollock, who it has been said splattered paint only after years of studying conventional forms of art. He then said I want to challenge this idea that my dancers need to look like ballerinas to legitimate what we do up here and substantiate a radical form of dance.

It's funny because this past week I have been trying to nurture my more creative side (which I do have, thank you very much), and this was the sort of thing I need to remind me how important that is. I feel like there is this idea that art is not productive, it's something extra. That is not how The Colonic feels.

No comments: