Sunday, October 14, 2007

Homophobia and Whole Foods Don't Mix

Imagine my dismay when purchasing my favorite wholesome snacks became a cultural exchange of emphasized masculinity, heterosexism and homophobia.

I was at the check-out counter, when the cashier told a coworker "I was going to get my eyebrow pierced last weekend. But I didn't because it looks gay."

What really bothers me is that we live in America, so clearly this complacent jack-off has the right to uncensored self-expression--but as an employee of a company in the service industry, I am appalled that offensive language is thrown around in front of paying customers.

I let him know how I felt. "Excuse me," I said. "Gay is not a synonym for stupid."

Even though his remark suggested something other than stupidity--it was referring to the cultural disapproval of a male gender performance perceived as somewhat or completely feminine--my response rolled off of my tongue in just that way.

Dip shit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Vanessa-
You are so amazing. It feels so good to know that there are people like you out there standing up for us gays. People like you really make a huge diiference in the world....love you, mean it

Vanessa said...

Thanks buddy. But there is no such thing as "you gays."

Gay issues are human rights issues. Everyone is human.

If it becomes acceptable that certain people are sub-human, then exclusion is normalized and suddenly liberty is up for debate.

I don't know about you...but I don't like the idea that fundamental rights are subject to the whim of social constructions.