Thursday, October 4, 2007

Wake up skank: a follow-up

I recently posted on my "wake up, skank" alarms and explored this idea of referring to both unfavorable females and female friends as bitches, hos, etc.

Well, I am happy to report that "skank" has been replaced with "brainiac" in my vocabulary. Yes, my new alarm is "wake up, brainiac." The implications are a bit different when referring to the unfavorables...but it actually becomes humorous when I talk about the brainiacs that I can't stand.

Although I must confess, I have not given up "cunt" yet. There is just something so satisfying in calling someone a dumb cunt. I know, I know--completely sexist, unfounded, and self-denigrating. Why would I diminish my own vagina to an insult? I'll get there though...one thing at a time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

why do people get so upset by using the word cunt or skank... ? i called my waitress a cunt on a date once, and the guy freaked out at me. explain what is so bad about the word. i dont really MEAN anything by it. it's not like using the word "gay" in a negative way. what's so wrong with calling a bitch a cunt if she's acting like one! haha

Vanessa said...

It is problematic because by using "cunt" to describe a person negatively, you are using female genitals to devalue something. In using cunt to devalue someone, you are devaluing what it means to have a cunt--which is to be a biological woman.

Think of it like calling something "shitty." Because shit it gross and worthless, comparing something to shit both denigrates what you are describing, and reaffirms shit as something smelly and gross.

There is nothing inherently negative about a cunt, so why does a cunt automatically describe something unfavorable?

A female friend of mine once asked, "Why do you disrepect me by disrespecting my part?"

I don't know if it is so unrelated to calling something gay...I mean, sexism and heterosexism operate alongside one another.