Saturday, October 20, 2007

Radicalism has limits, even for me

Polyamory, pansexuality, hormone therapy, androgyny--wonderful, you have my blessings.

But what I simply WILL NOT accept(and this came up in class), is the idea that Americans are ridiculously obsessed with germs, to the point of neurosis.

Call it what you like, I prefer environments that are fully sanitized and quite enjoy coming home to the faint smell of bleach and other cleaning products. I wash my hands so many times a day that I have horribly dehydrated cuticles. If the day passes according to my wishes, I will have taken AT LEAST two showers, but three are not uncommon, I have done four (I feel better about the environmental impact because I tend to use only freezing water for a brief period of time).

Granted, I am a bit extreme, but with good fucking reason.

On a side note, apparently city-dwellers living in high levels of sanitation are more susceptible to allergies. That's me all right-- but I will take welts and sniffles over the immunity apparently gained by sitting on public toilets, eating off of contaminated utensils, putting fingers anywhere near my face after touching dog ass or public telephones, touching wet sponge, squeezing wet sponge without gloves, touching sponges in use longer than one week, snuggling with small children after they have been sweating, making contact with filth, breeding bacteria, and festering in community crapola during school hours, not taking a shower directly after the gym, and the like.

But I do share drinks with my friends. Then again, only the ones I consider clean. I suppose it is clear you have won my affections if I am comfortable with your germs, like your germs, or even love your germs.

As I said--I have my limits.

No comments: