Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I will injure the next person who...

tells me that Chipotle is "bad" or "unhealthy" and then rattles off about the "1,500-calorie burrito"

a) Are you telling me to get on a diet?

b) Are you assuming that I am already on one?

c) Do you know what the fuck I order at Chipotle, and how I order it?

d) By the way: healthy food and high caloric foods are not mutually exclusive. Something can be good for you and have a lot of calories, like nuts and avocado (I am in NO WAY supporting the sour cream at Chipotle. Sour cream should be obliterated, along with mayonnaise, butter, cream cheese and the like). Example: I prefer VEGAN cookies, which generally have MORE CALORIES or a comparable number to regular cookies. FAT content and calories are different. I can have the same caloric intake as someone else, but my cardiovascular health can be better because of the types of food I eat (and perhaps more importantly, the types I don't eat). A person can also consume less calories than another, and be much unhealthier, because they are getting their calories from shitty places (like regulated crap snack food all day instead of well-rounded meals...or how about image-oriented people who replace meals with frozen yogurt?).

I am going to take this in another direction now, but I feel like the idea of weight and health have been conflated in ways that are actually detrimental. FAKE SUGAR IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU--if you say you drink Diet for health reasons, your head is up your ass. There are other cultural reasons you are ingesting toxins, and it ain't for the well being of your body.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Ha - I just ate Chipotle... a steak burrito "bol" WITH sour cream (it's so good!) and without beans, for an approximate calorie score of 1200. Boo.