Tuesday, October 2, 2007

this is still NOT a diary

I don't even know how to talk about this--I NEVER have this problem.

I AM SO FUCKING UNMOTIVATED; GETTING THROUGH THIS SEMESTER IS LIKE PULLING TEETH.

I realize this sounds very typical, and for many perhaps this is a way of life. But for me, school is like a third arm--it's an operating and lively appendage of my body. Studying is a compulsion, a reflex, my pride and joy. It is my privilege to learn. It is like breathing--I don't think twice.

So what the fuck is going on with me? I am in a state of alarm thinking about this. Especially because my regimen of work is strict and consistent--the way I have always preferred it--and so now enforcing it on my reluctant and flaccid body is painful.

Let me sort out the reasons:

a) The Hot Pocket (arrangement of friends I have lived with for 2 years) is dissolved.
b) I would say living at home is the problem, but I have no desire to live with anyone on campus (until senior year when B Dog returns and we will reunite with J in heavenly glory)
c) I find myself relating to people less, and isolating more.

but most importantly

d) I NEED TO GET OUT OF LOS ANGELES. I CANNOT TAKE THIS PLACE ANYMORE. I NEED A DIFFERENT CULTURE AND LIFESTYLE. I NEED TO PURSUE MY GOALS. JUST ONE SEMESTER AWAY, AND I WILL STUDY MY ASS OFF ALL SUMMER FOR MY LSATS IN MY PARENT'S HOUSE AND FINISH OFF SENIOR YEAR HERE WITH A SMILE. JUST GET ME OUT OF HERE. ANYWHERE BUT HERE. I WOULD RATHER GO BACK TO THE MILDEWY SHOWERS OF HAIFA THAN BE IN THIS SUFFOCATING CRAP HOLE ANY LONGER.

Glad I got that out. So one abroad application to South Africa is in, and the other application to Washington DC is on the way to being complete. The only obstacle remains a parental stamp of approval. Since my parents have absolutely no idea who I am, what I want from my life, what my goals are, or how I value my own self-determination, working this out will sort of be like banging my head against a wall over and over and over again.

In the mean time, the only reason I remain operational is because a) I laugh (although cynically) at everything going wrong; b) I sing in the car (a lot); c) I purchase Divine Grape Kombucha and espresso chocolate chip vegan cookies when I need a boost; d) I work out my anger at the gym; e) I am still passionate about life (although not Los Angeles); d) Dylan is amazing; e) I don't have to clean anything or wash clothes; f) There are people I care about; g) I know I have gone too far to give up now; h) I am too smart to act dumb (although I really wish I could...it would be such a nice change...); i) I really am a happy person with the best of intentions; j) I like challenges

bajl fbncesjlfbndgbsrfjekghsrjkledgnskdlgnrsjekle

I have a midterm this week, and I am having such a hard time being productive. I don't even know why I keep blabbing on this post. And guess what? I refuse to proofread.

My only saving grace is that my next class is on female masculinity, lesbians, and transsexuals.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Vanessa - I totally agree... LA does have the capability of sucking out one's soul.

Kelly said...

I second that - I am "soooo" over LA. (Although I was never really that mesmerized by it at all). If you ask me, the Brits have got it right. But South Africa would be an amazing experience... certainly very different than anything here. Good luck with midterms!