Monday, December 24, 2007

christmas tree, oh christmas tree

Because I am, like many Americans, from a diverse family of different religious practices, I get jiggy with Christmas like the other 225,000,000 Christians in the United States (although from a comment on my Christmas legislation post, apparently I am thin-skinned and can't handle the holiday...but that's neither here nor there).

I thought I would take this opportunity to say just how proud I am of my family on Christmas, because we do not selfishly chop down a gorgeous, living, much-needed tree for our own evanescent merriment--we use a gorgeous, tall-as-the-ceiling, life-like synthetic tree.

And guess what? I never even realized the damn thing was fake until someone told me. And guess what? It comes apart and can be stored easily. And guess what? We don't participate in the large-scale massacre of trees that takes place this time of year.

2 comments:

Ren said...

http://www.slate.com/id/2180086

An interesting discussion of fake trees versus real trees in terms of environmental impact.

In summary : real trees are mostly farmed and replanted, and fake trees are plastic (which is bad) but reusable.

Vanessa said...

I smell a viable market for a business that can craft fake trees out of recycled/sustainable material instead of pvc.

Either way...I feel like it's the same concept as the nalgene. If we all just had one plastic piece of crap, the world would be a better place.

Not like I have any expertise in comparing the wasted resources involved the Christmas tree harvest (space, water, labor, blah blah blah) versus the emission of fake-tree production.

In the end, I still think that re-using something until you die sounds better than whacking shit down annually.