Sunday, December 30, 2007

women, public space, and the gym

I enjoyed this post over at Bitch Ph.D. on women in public spaces, specifically focusing on the gym. I certainly notice the lack of women in the weight-lifting section, and I can personally testify to feeling anxious when in that area myself. That is to say, feeling out of place, silly, and/or unwelcome.

Now I am more interested in being able to lift my own body weight, so I no longer wander to the lifting corner--but I still experience the gym in highly gendered ways. I actually have a funny anecdote on the matter.

"Monika," I once asked. "Where do you feel like a piece of meat the most? I feel like the biggest piece of meat at the gym."

"I feel like the biggest piece of meat at temple," she responded.

You know, I laughed--but there really is nothing funny about the fact that women face discomfort while working out or worshiping.

No comments: