Monday, December 24, 2007

the tough part of veganism

I get this question a lot: has it been hard to maintain a vegan dietary lifestyle?

And the answer is no. It really isn't hard. In fact, it gives me great joy, and I have discovered new yummy foods, places, and a happy, friendly, vegan subculture.

Don't get me wrong--my wandering eye does happen upon a chocolate chip cookie or a warm brownie...but then I just think to myself, "I could eat that tortured animal of a morsel, or I could go to (insert place here) or bake (insert yummy here) and have something just as scrumptious, if not more. And healthier, too."

In fact, I am quite convinced that the vegan cupcakes at Real Food Daily--specifically with vanilla frosting--top Sprinkles any day--ANY DAY.

What is hard for me is the dilemma that my feelings about the origins of food should extend to my feelings about the origins of my things--specifically shoes and bags. That new Marc Jacobs leather wallet and matching handbag I had my eye on? Well, I put the idea to rest, because a) that is a tortured animal, and b) I don't even need it--I want it.


Then it happened to be that I needed work shoes and winter boots. I got very excited to discover vegan clothing online--but honestly, I have yet to find something tasteful and nice-looking (No offense. My fashion is particular--especially with shoes). I feel like I need to be hired as a vegan fashion consultant. This also has inspired me to think about getting involved in vegan clothing/accessory production. However, I'm hoping that I just haven't found the right places yet.

But I still needed work shoes. And so I went out with my mom and low and behold, my feet are cow-clad.

I feel hypocritical and shallow (eww--not wearing ugly, tacky shoes), but I also feel like I am a growing vegan, and a 100% switch does not happen over night. I am blogging honestly about it because, well hey, this is The Colonic, and we believe in honest discussion, critical thinking, and problem-solving.

In sum, eating vegan--ACCESSIBLE, EASY AND FUN...dressing vegan--INCONVENIENT, NOT ACCESSIBLE, VERY DIFFICULT. At least for me and in relation to my views of fashion and previous wardrobe lifestyle.

If any readers have vegan-friendly suggestions for shoes and handbags, please share. Similar experiences are welcome.

Just an end note, I realize that society assumes/expects 2 things of everyone: that one is straight, and that one consumes animal products. It's plastered everywhere. And it really makes me wonder these days, with all of these vegan thoughts on my mind, "why is it assumed that my shoes should be leather?" Yes, it is durable--but so are many other things. Nearly all restaurants expect animal consumption--and vegetarian options may exist, but vegan are far fewer in number. Strange. Let's all be heterosexual and eat beef with cheese, and shell out the cash from out leather wallets!

I mean...if free will were to exist (I am humoring you, I don't necessarily believe in free will), I believe that it has the precondition of options.

2 comments:

Ren said...

My friend had fake leather mock Doc Martens that she found online, though I dont know where exactly. I'm predicting some Googling should find some leather alternatives.

Michelle said...

I'd like to suggest a great site for both shoes AND bags...(boots too!) http://www.vegetarianshoesandbags.com/