Sunday, December 23, 2007

luxury condominiums--the new american dream

The American dream of owning a house, or should I say McMansion, is in desperate need for an upgrade.

In many cases, the point is simply, "Look at me. I'm rich. I'm a celebrity. I can have and do have whatever luxury I want."

I would like to suggest, however, that if you truly have a fuck-ton of money, what could be more envy-provoking than erasing your carbon footprint? What could be hotter than powering your home with photovoltaic panels? What is sexier than reducing waste and optimizing space?

What would make a better edition on Cribs than a high-rise, high-end condominium--which by the way, can still cost up in the millions--with higher percentages of population density and shared spaces--also known as efficiency.

With impeccable grounds, security, pools and spas, gyms, conference rooms, and multi-media rooms, one would have a variety of luxurious amenities at hand, while still maintaining a reasonable and healthy lifestyle for oneself, others, and the planet. This is an ideal that is livable. This is an ideal that works in the interest of humanity. In light of Global Warming, we cannot all have a me-me-me lifestyle. It's more like we-we-we.

After all, despite whatever pollution, New York is one of the most environmentally efficient cities because of the its population density, proximity of necessities within the city, and public transportation.

I know that homes are allegedly ideal for children--but think of of the environmental and social potential if communities were fostered in tall buildings, instead of long streets. If these amenities are so important, surely a playground and tennis court shared among residents of a building could foster bonds and friendships just like the suburbs.

No comments: