Thursday, December 4, 2008

the happiness equation

H=S+C+V

There you have it. According to Heidt, happiness consists of your genetic set point, conditions in your environment, and voluntary actions.

The equation has certainly held true for me--but then again, one could argue that I have certain genetic characteristics that make me more self-initiated and determined. I firmly believe that there is no seemingly automatic and unproductive psychological tendency in me that I cannot identify, explore, and resolve. Perhaps it is my unwavering belief that has allowed me to take more control of my life, become more self-aware, and enjoy myself much more.

Speaking of increasing happiness, a study just came out today finding that happiness can be contagious.

I also would like to point out a very fun fact: natural selection does not favor my happiness, because I don't want to make babies.

I think I can give better things to the world than by genes anyway.

No comments: