Tuesday, January 15, 2008

ASSUMPTION STAMP

My brain started doing this new and really cool thing. It is interesting that some mental journey lead me to this gradual and automatic processing evolution.

Every time a person, place, thing makes a (culturally motivated) assumption, I literally see (in red stencil font) the word ASSUMPTION in my mind. My brain stamps it on the spot. Now I notice the assumptions everywhere.

"Like when you were a kid at Christmas"--ASSUMPTION of the Christian normative
"Do you have a boyfriend?"--ASSUMPTION of heterosexuality

There are the political assumptions. Democrat or Republican? Conservative or Liberal?

References to marriage and children really tickle me. Oy vey do the gendered ones get me.

I am just really into the new and instant processing of assumptions. It is fair to say that these assumptions, viewed in theme and in numbers, create the borderlines of our culture.

No comments: