Sunday, January 6, 2008

it is only me changing...not the world

I suppose if one were to look at my starting point (senior year of high school) and compare it to my current state, the change is extremely drastic. But for me, it is more of a domino effect, and in that respect, my changes have been incremental and connected to one another.

In the way infancy as compared to adulthood is a startling transformation, yet changes are hard to decipher daily...I too have changed gradually over time to a point where I don't identify particularly as liberal, and actually abhor the linear scale of political orientation. I see myself somewhere in between progressive and radical (not on a polarized continuum, thank you).

Where this gets confusing for me is that I occupy my own mind quite vigorously, and I have experienced my own natural and logical progression, and it makes so much sense to me that I automatically feel like the rest of the world would just be following suit, or see the same plain logic that I do, and make my same progression.

Every once and a while I look around and get a whiff of mainstream ideologies; I just get so thrown-off and confused. Homophobia? Racism? Sexism? Gender oppression? Compulsory heterosexuality? Religion? Ageism? Environmental devastation?

These things absolutely blow my mind. I can't even see where people are coming from anymore. I can't even excuse it anymore. It is just so bizarre that I feel alien many times.

And every so often I have to remind myself, "Vanessa, it's just you that is changing. Not the world"

Well, hopefully the world is changing a little bit, too. Hopefully.

(Check out my optimism and assumption of reality. Hopefully I will feel a little more nihilist in my next post)

No comments: