Saturday, January 5, 2008

nipples

Let me just put it out there--I am vehemently opposed to the sexist and contradictory laws that allow the male nipple in public and relegate the female nipple exclusively to the private sphere, with gawking and whispers accompanying any "deviance."

This, by the way, is a discriminatory and pathetic socio-cultural distinction that has transcended into nudity and obscenity laws, althose these laws vary by state.

Back to my point. I was practicing yoga and looking across the room at all of the topless men, thinking about how much more I would like to practice in the freedom and comfort of toplessness. And then it occurred to me that if I just got down and took off my shirt, suddenly the rules of the game would change, and the case would be that I want attention. I am trying to make a point. I want people to look at me.

I could not be like an the men--innocently wanting a different experience, feeling, or comfort level. I would be wanting people to look at me. That pisses me off so much.

Maybe next time I'll just take it off.

1 comment:

Ren said...

Yay! Have you looked into topless rights, topfree movements, and some other similar names?
topfreedom for example, carries reports of women's successes and failures in trying to go topless in public.

On the other hand, it can be called indecent exposure, which is a registrable sex offense in CA. (I referenced you here