Tuesday, January 15, 2008

STARBUCKS microcosmic of cultural DIETARY DISTORTIONS

As I glanced at the chalked-in specialty menu at Starbucks, I wanted to punch someone in the face.

Aside from the new and obnoxiously named "skinny latte," the way in which this new latte genre is pitched is not only factually false, but indicative and chronic misunderstandings of health (due to conflations with weight).

A skinny latte, which features non-fat milk and FAKE SUGAR SUBSTITUTES, was advertised below a rainbow-shaped text which read "Better for you!"

No, toxic and synthetic chemicals that save you some calories but over time hammer away at your wellness are not good for you. No, weight is not the same as health, although the two can be related. If I was in the mood, I would attach some info on what aspartame does to rats, although the FDA does not require that food additives be tested on people. And yes, Splenda is different than aspartame, but it is all the same poisonous crap. When I am not lazy, I will pull some info on that as well.

No comments: